I am writing to you because I am interested in joining Mahal in 2008.
I am currently a second year french student in an israeli university and I would like to take a break in my studies in order to join Mahal.
However, I heard that new constraining laws regarding Mahal are to be enforced soon.
1) you cannot enlist if you were living in Israel (on a student visa for example) before joining Mahal,
2) the service in Mahal is extended to 18 months instead of 14 1/2 months
As these new regulations do not appear on the website mahal2000.com, i would like to ask you a few questions that do not appear in the FAQ:
1) Can i join mahal if i have already been residing in Israel for 1 1/2 or 2 years, on a student visa?
2) As I am probably going on an exchange program to Singapore (from an Israeli university) from August 2007 to December 2007, can I join mahal in January 2008 as if I was not living in Israel before the exchange program?
3) Can I arrange all the bureaucratic, medical and administrative issues during the summer 2007, so that i can come back to Israel right before (let say 3 or 4 weeks) being enlisted, and not 9 weeks as required (given that I already speak hebrew)?
4) If i sign my contract with Mahal, stipulating that i will serve for 14 1/2 weeks, before the law of a 18-months service is enforced, am I absolutely certain not to be obligated to serve 18 months?
5) Can I expect some flexibility from the army if I need to end my service let say 2 weeks before the normal date in order to start the spring semester back in my university on time?
Concretely, will I have to fight with the bureaucratie for that?
6) As a Hayal Boded, I am entitled to one month off during my service. If I decide not to benefit from this month out of the army, is it possible to serve for 13 1/2 months only? (which is theoetically the same thing as taking the month off at the end of my service)?
7) I am a small and tiny guy (59kg), I have never practiced any combat sport but I am quite endurant.
What are the objective chances for me not to have a high enough profile not to be affected to a cambat unit?
If i am not affected to a combat unit, what are the most likely activities that I will be doing in the army for 14 1/2 months?
9) At the time of my enrollment, I will have ended 2 1/2 semesters (out of a total of 3) of my toar rishon in Business Administration (with major in Finance).
Is there any chance that I will do something related to this discipline in the framework of my service in Mahal, if I ask to and if I am not affected to a combat unit?
Also, I would like sone advice from people who already went through Mahal.
Is it better to finish my first degree and then to join Mahal in August 2008?
My concern about this first option is that I will be out of the academic/professional year for a 1 1/2 year and I assume that it will be quite tough to get back to my studies for a second degree after that.
The second option is to take a break in my studies in the middle of my last year of studies in the university Im studying currently.
I ll finish the fall semester (in an exchance program in Singapore) in December 2007, then I join Mahal in January 2008, i ll be released in March 2009 and I can finish my last spring semester right after the army (even if the schedule is very tight but I ll try to arrange that with my university)
In this second option, I ll get back to my studies right after the army and therefore this option seems to me a lot preferable.
Please gimme the pros and the cons of each option.
thanks a lot in advance for answering my -too- long and -too- detailed questions