hebrew and nahal haredi

Post questions about service-related issues here.

Moderators: Dan from Boston, rafi

hebrew and nahal haredi

Postby Dayan » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:30 pm

on the IDF site it says that you need to speak Hebrew to join nahal haredi ( no ulpan available) so i'm planning on coming in feb or march and hiring an ulpan. I was wondering if you guys knew any private ulpan programs for me to contact and do you think 5 months is enough to learn Hebrew ( I have some background of the language and can speak simple sentences).
Dayan

Re: hebrew and nahal haredi

Postby rafi » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:27 am

Dayan wrote:on the IDF site it says that you need to speak Hebrew to join nahal haredi ( no ulpan available) so i'm planning on coming in feb or march and hiring an ulpan. I was wondering if you guys knew any private ulpan programs for me to contact and do you think 5 months is enough to learn Hebrew ( I have some background of the language and can speak simple sentences).

We do not dispute the IDF post. The more hebrew skills you
have, the better. The language of the IDF is hebrew - 24/7.

It is the policy of mahal-idf-volunteers.org to not give endorsements.
There are a few different posts that discuss hebrew learning options.
rafi
Administrator

Postby rafi » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:30 am

rafi wrote:
Dayan wrote:on the IDF site it says that you need to speak Hebrew to join nahal haredi ( no ulpan available) so i'm planning on coming in feb or march and hiring an ulpan. I was wondering if you guys knew any private ulpan programs for me to contact and do you think 5 months is enough to learn Hebrew ( I have some background of the language and can speak simple sentences).

We do not dispute the IDF post. The more hebrew skills you
have, the better. The language of the IDF is hebrew - 24/7.

When I have served in miluim with Nahal Haredi, no one in the
unit I was in spoke english.

It is the policy of mahal-idf-volunteers.org to not give endorsements.
There are a few different posts that discuss hebrew learning options.
rafi
Administrator

Postby goldberg123 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:46 pm

im serving in nahal haredi and u dont need to speak a word of hebrew to join so dont worry
zoos
goldberg123

Postby rafi » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:49 pm

I've been thinking about this post allot, as it has really bothered me.

The language of the IDF is hebrew. Let's assume for a second that the last post is correct. If I have two tasks to assign to my team, I am going to assign them based on ability. One job calls for answering the radio and one calls for cleaning toilets. Who is going to get which job?

If your goal is join the IDF, never advance, never contribute according to the ability of your intellect and never be anything other than a private, then it is possible to go from start to finish with minimal hebrew.

But if you are joining the IDF to help Israel, then you should know hebrew.
rafi
Administrator

Return to Military Matters